What a different kind of summer my life has lived these past weeks. As one who loves sleep, 6 a.m. wake up times are brutal, 10 hours of work is long and the exhaustion I feel at the end of the working day is a new and less-than-thrilling experience.
But despite all this, I find myself building character like I only thought I could have. 6:01 my alarm goes up, I roll out of bed. No debate like in school whether or not I feel like getting up, I just go. I may not have full balance when putting on jeans or have my eyes fully open when I pour a quick bowl of cereal, but I am up and moving myself toward work.
Let's recap my job history (probably half of which are summer jobs). I've been a Yogurt Shack cashier, an umpire, a movie theater usher, a concert venue event staff, a surveillance/asset protection agent and a groundsmen. What an interesting resumé I am building. After spending the last four weeks working for the school district, I can safely say that maintaining a school's grounds, water supply or buildings is not something I want to do with my life, but the experience I have had has been exceptionally unique.
My coworkers are 37-60 year old males (save one) who, for the most part, haven't exactly lived the easy life. As far as I can tell, most are either high school graduates or drop outs. I have heard many different opinions on life from my coworkers. Some believe I should stay as far away from this kind of work as I can. Some say that nothing in life is worth anything. Virtually all of the men would say that women are beneath them and I should either date and sleep with as many as possible before (unfortunately) marrying, or I should just avoid them all together and be blissful my whole life.
Basically I'm in an environment of different opinions than the one's I posses. It's been a tough place with folks who would rather trash talk one another (and every driver on the road) than to talk about philosophical or moralistic matters. It's been a tough place of ministry, I'd be lying if I said I was anything near spreading the Gospel with flying colors. If you are a reader who is spiritually inclined, I would appreciate you praying for my coworkers. Most of them have problems at home whether it be with their wives (or ex's), kids, or just an overall lack of self respect. I see so much insecurity and it breaks my heart.
The other side of my summer has been the standard Warped Tour matched with some Isla Vista visits. The whole summer I have Germany on the back of my mind, but more news on that (and a link to a German-specific blog) to come soon.
I finish this short reflection by saying that Tuesday nights have been the biggest blessing this summer. The Spirit has been obviously dwelling in the hearts of those who come over every week. We have heard great testimonies of God's great work and it's been awesome to put it as lightly at possible.
The next update/post will probably have more meat in it than this one. Until then beloved reader, just know that you are truly, utterly, intimately, and purely loved. I was loved perfectly first, so I try to perfectly love. Have a beautiful day.
- I. Charbonnet
No comments:
Post a Comment