It's like a pendulum sometimes. Some days you feel like the whole world is against you and you are all on your own. Other days it seems like you are unstoppable courtesy of the support of every man woman and child on Earth.
Today, I was blessed to feel the latter of these.
I contemplated random kindness as I passed by Cajé after class today. Cajé is Isla Vista's trendy, organic coffee shop that also happens to be a common hang out spot for a large portion of my Christian friends. Anyway, as I passed by this random man gave me a nice big smile and, returning the favor as I passed, I boarded past the coffee shop. In all seriousness, that smile made the whole trip back to my apartment. I thought to myself, is every moment I don't smile at someone passing by a moment that they might not have their day better? It seems like when you spend your days walking with your head down and eyes to the ground, you miss all the faces of the people around you. These people are you neighbors.
"And the second is like unto it: 'Thou shalt Love thy neighbor as thyself.'"
- Matthew 22:39 (King James)
I did not wake up today planning to have such a great day. I can't even remember if I prayed this morning. It was seriously just an average Thursday until that moment I passed by Cajé; my shower was lukewarm, I spent my time in Philosophy of Mind texting and contemplating objectivity vs. subjectivity in light of a debate my roommate and I had...you know, standard stuff.
But that moment that the stranger showed me some genuine love, everything in the world got a little bit more beautiful. The construction outside my apartment wasn't obnoxious today. I wasn't getting down on myself for neglecting certain things and I wasn't praising myself for getting other things done. I felt graced with genuine joy in life.
Oh and then I got to play some bass for one of the dopest worship songs you've ever heard.
Yes. It is dope on a rope.
Shout out to my friend Matt Butin who will probably never read this, but that guy gets me fired up to worship like none other.
Basically I got emotionally spent over the course of 1.5 songs, but that seems to be how the Spirit has been working in my life lately.
SIDE STORY THAT WILL RELATE IN A MINUTE:
I'm going to the Middle East in T-Minus 2 weeks! I have been given an opportunity to love on people for my Spring Break and I want to take it! For the sake of our team, we aren't supposed to disclose the location of our work, but in the off-chance you don't know me that well or haven't heard about it, feel free to message me. I'm trying to abide by the rules in public places like blogs.
Anyway, I need to raise $2,000 in support for this trip. I need money to cover airfare, food, lodging, etc. etc.
My team was (for the most part) able to get their support letters out around week 3 or 4 of the quarter, but my life was so hectic that I wasn't really able to sit down, edit a letter, make 80ish copies and mail them until about week 6/7. In a week and a half, God had used family and friends to raise over $1,000. It's crazy because I'm getting $500 from an aunt I talk to every three years, $400 from my grandmother who has never been able to afford giving her grandchildren more than $20 for a birthday, and to top it all off, COLLEGE STUDENTS have been supplying my with the last $600 or so.
When you have college students giving you $50 and $100 dollars out of their own pocket, you know something has to be up. Not only have people been CRAZY supportive, but two people who I have NEVER approached about my ministry gave me $50 tonight.
Who does that?!
^See it related because it was about KINDNESS and it happened tonight. Totally a coherent train of thought.
Anyway, I really need to go to bed because it is 2 a.m. and I have 9 o'clock Biopsych (not a fan of tough morning classes, but hey, I can't be too bummed on that right now) lecture. I wanted to try and put down how much JOY I have tonight.
Most of my blogs are reflective of moments in my life and this is one I want to remember.
I'm so exhausted but I am going to sleep so happy at the same time. I can't think of a time in my life where I haven't been blessed by someone showing me kindness and extending their hand in friendship to me.
Not everyone gets that.
My heart breaks for you if you have ever felt truly alone. I know that I have felt alone before, but the reality is that in those times I have the greatest thing in the universe beside me.
And yes, I'm going to give the Sunday school answer:
Christ.
You thought I was going to say friends, huh? I lead up to it and was about to proclaim my love for people and.... almost. Christ has truly been the only PURELY GOOD thing in my life (Christ will be, for the sake of it being 2 in the morning and me not being a doctor of theology, referring to one person of the Trinity AND the Trinity). I would definitely say that you ever feel lonely, you should consider praying.
Consider:
The concept of PURE LOVE existing in the universe. And the idea that this pure Love was humbled to a lowly human being, beaten, pierced with metal through wrists and feet and KILLED.
For you.
There is more to the whole Jesus story, but that part is sufficient for the point I make. I have a faint but every growing knowledge of the full extent of Love. By showing love to others, I get to try and take a small portion of the larger love and present it as a gift to them.
For their sake.
"...Love is kind....it does not boast, it is not proud"
- 1 Corinthians 13:4
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for being love in my life dear reader. I know if you are reading this, that means that you have
a) put too much time into me to read the ramblings of this blog and
b) a heart worth knowing and loving.
So thank you for being a part of the love that I preach has changed my life. Christ has done everything one can do for me. And I get to see Perfect Love's little works in my relationships with friends everyday. You get to be an example of Love in my life whether you want to or not; whether you know it or not.
"Come what may, I won't abandon you or leave you behind
Because Love is a loyalty sworn not a burning for a moment."
- The Weight by Thrice
"There's No Greater Love
Than That One Shed His Blood For His Friends."
- For Miles by Thrice (Based off of John 15:13)
"On March 3rd, 2011 I was blessed with knowledge and experience that I am a loved man. Undeserving and loved both."
- Ian Maxwell Charbonnet
*Afterthought:
I have no clue if this blog had a eloquently stated point. I think tomorrow when I re-read this I will think, "wow Ian, you could totally have written better than this." But I think I need to leave this as raw as I can. I wanted to capture this moment where Love touched me and wrapped itself around me and wouldn't let me go. I'm still all caught up in it. And let me tell you, it is SO GOOD! I pray for you reader. I pray for you not even knowing your true name. May Love and Joy abound in your life!
It truly is so good. Ian, it is eloquent only because you spoke of the most elaborate and beautiful thing in the universe: Christ.
ReplyDeleteI'M SO FREAKING STOKED for you right now. Joy is contagious, my friend, and I will enjoy the rest of my day purely because you have reminded me here of how wonderful life is - because of Jesus.
Ian Charbonnet. You have no idea how much you flipped my day around right now. From feeling a huge knot in my chest to smiling because God loves me. This is just what I needed to read; a reminder that we are never alone because we are with Christ. Thank you for being so full of joy and sharing it with everyone around you.
ReplyDelete