There is beauty in the world.
I don't know how or why we see beauty in things, but we do.
I've already decided that Love is the single most powerful thing in this world (just read every other blog on this page) and Hope is the second most powerful. I may have found my third.
Beauty is powerful because it has no standard. Models and companies portray what we think is beautiful, but it is truly in the eye of the beholder when it comes down to it. Is it merely a mixture of color that promotes beauty in fashion and in a sunset? Is it vastness when compared to the sky? Beauty exists in one form or another. Like Love, we do not dismiss beauty. It does not make sense, but every human being feels it.
I rant about this because I had the most beautiful experience tonight than I've had in many years. Tonight, I left the company of many wonderful people and found myself not quite tired at 2:45 in the morning. I longed to take a detour before retiring to my room on campus. So I took the bike path in the opposite direction. That direction lead me to the ocean. I heard it before I saw it and my anticipation rose. I had forgotten the beauty that is Santa Barbara! I biked along the cliffs overlooking the water and made my way down slippery steps. Soon enough I was standing viewing water as far out as it was right and left. Consistent waves and a clear sky over the water made the scene's corniness complete.
But this wasn't just a beautiful beach.
As I looked up I witnessed the single most beautiful shooting star I will ever see in my life.
Don't ask me how I know this, I just do.
It lasted over 4 slow seconds. And it wasn't just a white dot and gone. It had an almost orange hue as it left its streak across the sky. There is no way that my timing could have been any more perfect.
I laughed. In my laughter I threw my hands up into the air and shouted "I live here!" Then I got choked up. No I didn't cry, but I definitely got teary-eyed. There is nowhere in the world I'm supposed to be right now, but this place feels pretty darn good. I've met people who have shown me love and haven't even met me fully yet. I have a backdrop that could make anyone living anywhere else jealous. I cannot believe my fortune. How blessed am I? I wanted to tell everyone, but in the moment I needed to keep my phone in my pocket. I needed to stay there. Stay and be still.
Be still and feel alive.
I don't care what you believe in; if you don't experience love, hope and beauty on an everyday basis, you are not living.
PART 2
"Something feels so right.
You are the moment I want to be lost in.
The lie that needs no truth
The reality that needs to dream.
To feel your heartbeat slow
And your breathing soften
This is trust.
This is home."
Those aren't the lyrics I was looking for, but I miss them. I miss writing. I miss the creation of words from the images and songs in my head. I miss closing my eyes and hearing each song in my ears. Clear.
*insert other song lyrics when I find them here*
"We're sleeping, yet not soundly tonight.
My heart seeps into my dreams.
I swear you can have my heart
just promise to take me alive.
For my eyes have truly seen a thing of beauty
and my ears have heard a voice sing verity.
But my lips just wish to know
what it means to be a part of you."
I can't wait til I find someone as beautiful as tonight. That will be the day I will not be able to write about her. Oh well.
I guess tonight was just another night of reflection. So I will end this as I have found I should end all entries: reminding YOU how much I love you. Thank you so much for your time. No matter how much I repeat it, my words remain sincere. You are a beautiful individual simply for taking the time to hear my thoughts. I hope this blog finds YOU well.
- Ian M. Charbonnet
No comments:
Post a Comment